Monday, March 24, 2014

A Day In A Life Of A New Zealand Soldier At The Boer War

Sounds of gunshots echoed around me as I woke up at four o’clock in the morning. “Neigh” the horses heard it too. We began our daily trek across the veldt, mostly on the back of a horse but also leading a horse by foot. We don’t wake up and have breakfast ,as there is little amounts and it has to be rationed out evenly.  

Not only do we have to worry about our allies and enemies ,but also the tough climates and the rough landscape of africa. My feet were frostbitten from the night as the climate dropped to -9 degrees. So most of the time I was riding my horse.

Conditions were hard no food which means no energy but we still had to walk for 30km a day I was exhausted . My day was over and i had a can of bully beef and army biscuits at the end of each day it is what i look forward to when i’m traveling

I fell asleep on the solid ground. With no cover besides my clothes I was starving and i had no energy .Goodnight







Me and my horse Major.

3 comments:

  1. Great writing Isara. You really paint a picture for me with your words! I look forward to reading your next piece. Kapai! Aunty Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you have put yourself into the soldiers shoes and thought carefully about his perspective. Remember to check before you post Isara!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Isara,

    I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL in EDM 310. This is a great blog post Isara! Just like another commenter said, you do "paint a picture" with your words. I also really like the picture of you on your horse, Major. Good luck the rest of the year and keep up the good work!

    Mitchell Lane

    ReplyDelete